Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Psychopathology of Everyday Things


This is not a picture of the actual train set because I do not remember the exact model number, but it did look similar.
source: http://www.yogee.com.au/lego-train-station-7997-p-390.html

Why do they make toys so difficult to put together? It often makes me feel dumb when a simple children's toy is impossible to assemble. I often see "some assembly required." However it can take more than just me, but an entire team to put together a toy for a five-year-old. I remember last Christmas, I gave a train station to my nephew because he had a love for trains. I am not a manual person and felt that I could put together a train and some tracks without reading directions. After all, I have put together a few trains in the past. As I gathered all the pieces from the box, I started putting tracks together. I purchased this particular piece because the tracks could be manipulated in many different ways. My thinking was that my nephew could try several different designs for his amusement.

Upon gathering the pieces from the box I noticed that not only did I have to put the train itself together, but I also needed to read the manual. It took an entire team to help put that train together and we could not finish it on Christmas day. I was so annoyed at the amount of assembly we needed to complete and how there were so many small, complicated pieces. The set should have been put together more than it was. Furthermore, "some assembly required" should mean some assembly.

1 comment:

miles said...

I agree that the "some assembly required" moniker is misleading. In a similar vein, Amazon.com has taken the lead on creating user-friendly packaging—something like 10,000 people are sent to the hospital each year from stab wounds inflicted while attempting to open clamshell packaging…now if only that could assemble whatever was inside the box before shipping it, I think we’d have our problems solved…