Friday, February 20, 2009

Politics and Class Size Reduction

It appears that our government is looking towards taking away class size reduction and leaving it to districts. Naturally, districts are likely to give teachers more students. As many of you know, I currently teach a fifth and sixth grade combination class of 31 students. What is to stop anyone from giving me a fourth, fifth, and sixth grade class? Even with 31 students, I find it challenging to get around to all students and to meet everyone's needs.  I think giving teachers even more students would be a disservice to the students.  They need extra support and cannot receive as much if they are overcrowded in a confined space.  
I would appreciate anyone who would call their local representative in California. Teachers can find representatives are at www.acsa.org or at cta.org, or at www.cde.ca.gov or just by googling.

No comments: