Thursday, September 25, 2008

Dr. Curt Bonk, Indiana University

Dr. Curt Bonk provided some excellent insight on Web 2.0 tools. There are a lot of misunderstandings dealing with Web 2.0 and it means different things to different people. However, it can be such a powerful tool with fantastic applications.

Web 1.0 is about pushing up pages of content. Web 2.0 relates to micocontent. Items can be resaved, reused, shared, and ownership. Web 1.0 was about connecting learners in new ways. We could connect but it was not very interactive. With Web 2.0 we are moving toward a more engaging era. Teaching vs. Learning. Theory is not catching up to web 2.0 technologies, from teaching paradigm to a collaborative learning paradigm. Learners create their own wikibooks, produce news, comments, podcasts, blogs, create groups, etc.

The Thiagi Challenge was very interesting information about 99 second presentations. I think that might be a fun activity to use with my students. Dr. Bonk did a great job presenting information on the web in 99 seconds.

The idea of terabite technology is amazing to me, but I have noticed that technology is becoming increasingly free.

The IRRODL is an innovative website that researches podcasts. Online conferences could be considered a form of digital scholarship and many of the tools are free. Wikibooks has so many fantastic resources that are collaborative. WeBook is a place where you can get people to vote on your book and it can be published with the assistance of others. You can actually sell books at webooks.

I would love to see how I can use YouTube to anchor instruction and would enjoy exploring game-based learning.

The Google presenters also provided marvelous information about tools available by Google such as Google Earth and Maps.

We also heard some additional information about Wikis--great information.

I gave my presentation on Cmap and FreeMind. I must admit that I favor Cmap. My presentation can be viewed at the following link:

http://docs.google.com/Presentation?id=df2h82t8_6cp4sj6fx

1 comment:

Amy Lilley said...

I loved Thiagi's 99 second challenge too. I am going to incorporate that as a review activity in my longer training classes. I use thiagi's website alot. He has a freestuff section at www.thiagi.com, where you can get his frame games that you can push any content into. Thanks for your advice on the mindmaps. I am going to try cmaps, first.