Thursday, September 18, 2008

Technology Shaping Education

Emerging Technologies: I enjoyed the common craft videos; they provided a simple way of presenting information. Web 2.0 tools are an excellent resource that can enhance learning and communication. Web 2.0 is "people-centered" and focuses more on the learner. It is a collaborative tool with so much information which is why it changes learning and research. Students need to think critically about what information they need and about its relevance.

Technology had diverse ways of presenting information and how we process information. I noticed that the way individuals learn is changing. Starting with the "big picture" and researching information to meet your needs is a more common method when there is a sea of information available on the web.

Graphic encoders was a new concept for me and I enjoyed hearing examples from our guest speaker, Sylvia. Combining a variety of tools can create a progression of information in diverse ways. Different tools can enhance diverse learning styles. She is implementing such fun ways of applying web 2.0 to the classroom environment. Pandora sounds fun as well--I think I'll check it out.

I liked her wiki: http://starvocabwiki.wetpaint.com/

Marshall gave a great presentation on the Kindle eBook, which is another piece of technology that I have never before heard of. It's a lovely piece of machinery. He was very knowledgeable and provided marvelous information. I will be looking at Cmap and Freemind next week.

wiki vs. blog: Wiki is an excellent collaborative piece or a content management tool where as a blog is mostly used for reflection.

Flat Classroom: Students are participating in global project-based learning in order to collaborate with one another. They have specific areas of expertise and work in groups across continents to acquire information and encourage diversity. I love this project and would enjoy working with people from different places. I would be so interested in participating in a global project-based assignment if I was a student in these classrooms.

1 comment:

Thanh To said...

I also think that starting out with the big picture is also kind of making things easier to understand at times. I wish that my high school teachers were more "big picture" kind of people, so that I don't have to guess what they're trying to say.